Compare Me! Mid-Range Liquid Eye Liner Pens

Friday, January 29, 2016

So the other day I received a liquid eyeliner pen to review at a discounted price. It was clearly meant to be a dupe for the Kat Von D eyeliner pen, and for the most part, it was actually a pretty darn good liquid liner. But it got me to thinking about my little stash of liquid eyeliner pens and which ones work and which ones don't and although I always prefer waterproof, before I knew to look for waterproof liquid eyeliner, I purchased a few that weren't.

I thought maybe it would be nice to test out these 'waterproof' liquid eyeliners and see how they fared overnight and through hand washing, and there were some definite winners and some losers too. So read on if you would like to see my reviews on the waterproof liners I compared.


I took the picture below after sleeping with these swatches on my hand (8 hours), and several hand washes. I got a little too vigorous with a paper towel mid way through the day and accidentally wiped them all off, but they lasted for quite some time. From left to right, here are the swatches: Mia Adora, Kat Von D, Stila, Lancome (waterproof pencil), Urban Decay.




All of these products claim to be waterproof, and I think I'll give it to them that they live up to that, however some of them worked better than others for long-wear. Let's start at the beginning:



1. Mia Adora Tatoo Liner (Kat Von D Dupe)

This is the dupe I received to review at a discounted price. It looks similar to both Kat Von D and Stila's eyeliner, but it bled more. It had just as much staying power as the best of them though. It costs about as much as the KVD and Stila pen, so I would advise you to get either of those over this one.


 


For me, this liner only works if I apply one line. If I need to go back in and double up, it can flake off, similar to Urban Decay on the end, but not quite as badly. That being said, it's a pretty solid product and a lot of women swear by it. 


 http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1840049



This is hands down my favorite. I've bought 2 more pens since my first to keep around because I use it so often. I've worn this for days without it coming off.




This is a waterproof pencil to be fair, which is why it wipes off while I was sleeping like you see below. However, I've worn it before without issue, and I like that it truly has a matte effect when applied, which the others do not. I usually prefer liquid liners, or using eyeshadow as liner, but I received this in a Sephora's Favorites box.





I was so disappointed with this product. I tried swatching several times, and what you see below was always the same result. In addition, it comes in wand format, rather than a pen, which for me, is much harder to use while applying. Not worth the cost at all.




Other Options

When I don't want a look with liquid liner, my default for the last 10 years has been to use black eyeshadow as liner and apply it with a thin soft angle brush. If I want a liquid liner look without the liner, I can wet the brush. I've found there's minimal fall out, and it lasts a lot longer than any other non-waterproof liner I've found.

There are also tons of non-waterproof options on the market. If you're a beginner, I would recommend the Maybelline Master Graphic or Eyeko fat pen, which gives you more control over the pen. If I can't find my Stila pen, I also use the L'Oreal liquid eyeliner pen. I have a Star Looks pen that works, but isn't the blackest black, and I also have a Revlon ColorStay pen that I need to get rid of because the pen tip is very stiff and always has been. Now that I've used nicer products, I can see that this one in particular is very hard to work with.

Learn from my mistakes, chronicled above, and practice practice practice! We're so lucky that liquid eyeliner pens are even a thing because the traditional pot/wand set up was always such a nightmare to use! I hope you can use my advice to perfect your look and find the right product for you at the right price for your budget!




Disclaimer-This post is not sponsored by any of the above products or companies. All opinions are my own and all products were purchased with my own money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top